What Do You Need To File


Prior Year Tax Return Copies

If you are a new client, please bring copies of your last 3 years federal and state income tax returns. 

Personal & Dependent Information

Social Security or ITIN Numbers with date of births for anyone who’ll be on your tax return

Childcare payment records with licensed provider’s ID number(s)

Amount of any alimony payments with ex-spouse SSN

Income Statements

Bring any & all W-2, 1098, 1099 & schedule K-1 forms

Purchase date & total investment for any stocks or property sold

List of investment related expenses

Education scholarships or fellowships

Sample list of statements:

· Form W-2 (wage and salary income)

· Form W-2G (gambling winnings)

· Form 1099-A (foreclosure of a home)

· Form 1099-B (sales of stock, bonds, or other investments)

· Form 1099-C (canceled debts)

· Form 1099-DIV (dividends)

· Form 1099-G (state tax refunds and unemployment compensation)

· Form 1099-INT (interest income)

· Form 1099-K (business or rental income processed by third-party networks)

· Form 1099-LTC (benefits received from a long-term care policy)

· Form 1099-MISC (self-employment and other various types of income)

· Form 1099-OID (original issue discount on bonds)

· Form 1099-PATR (patronage dividends)

· Form 1099-Q (distributions from an education savings plan)

· Form 1099-QA (distributions from an ABLE account)

· Form 1099-R (distributions from individual retirement accounts, 401(k) plans, and other types of retirement savings plans)

· Form 1099-S (proceeds from the sale of real estate)

· Form 1099-SA (distributions from health savings accounts)

· Form SSA-1099 (Social Security benefits)

· Form RRB-1099 (Railroad retirement benefits)

· Schedule K-1 (income from partnerships, S corporations, estates, or trusts)

It's possible that you might have received income during the course of the year that's not reported on any of these forms. ​For example, you might be a sole proprietor with your own business. Someone may have paid you $500 for work. This doesn't require that the company or individual submit a 1099-MISC form to you or on your behalf because the threshold is $600. But, you'll have to report and pay taxes on that income.

Itemized Deductions

If you are planning on itemizing your deductions (Schedule A) please compose a spreadsheet/list summarizing them. Itemized deductions include:

Mortgage interest, real estate & personal property tax records

Casualty & theft losses

Amounts of state & local income tax paid in prior years

Records of cash donations to religious institutions, schools & other charities

Records on non-cash charitable donations

Retirement & Education

Records of any contributions to IRAs, HSAs & other retirement plans

Records of tuition and other higher education expenses (books, computers, etc.)

School statement form 1098T

Stocks & Mutual Funds

If you sold stocks or mutual funds, please provide a spreadsheet/list showing:

The date(s) you purchased each item(s) sold

Total purchase price of each item sold. Do not assume your cost information is provided on Form 1099.


Any 1099-Misc forms

Gross self employment income for the tax year and your applicable expenses categorized and summarized by the type of expense (i.e. advertising, equipment, supplies, etc)

Rental Property

Gross rental income you received during the tax year

Your applicable expenses categorized and summarized by the type of expense (i.e. advertising, mortgage interest, real estate taxes, repairs, maintenance, condo fees, etc).

Rental start date and original cost base for all properties

Business Use of Home

Square footage calculation of the area used for business

The date you began using the space for business

Original purchase price paid for the property

Summary of your utility expenses (gas, electric, oil, condo fees, landscaping, snowplowing, maintenance, etc)

Major home improvements and direct office expenses (repairs, business phone, etc).

Residential Energy Efficient Improvements

High-efficiency heating & cooling systems, water heaters, windows, doors, insulation, qualified solar electric property, solar water heating property, fuel cell property, small wind energy property and geothermal heat pump property

Foreign Nationals on a F-1 or J-1 Visas

Please bring your Visa and passport and summarize the following information:

Your permanent address where you are a citizen

Your F-1 / J-1 VISA number

The actual dates entered / left the United States for corresponding tax year

The number of days you were in the United States for the previous three tax years

Estimated Tax Payments

If you made any estimated tax payments this tax year, we will need to know the dates and amounts paid of all federal and state estimated tax payments.